Tuesday, February 27, 2007

So much for Sandwich Artists

Subway is running a set of ads on television now to make us feel good about how we all like different toppings on our otherwise impersonal subs. What's frustrating is that all the customers in this commercial are aggressively using the active voice: "I put mustard on mine." "I made mine the way I like it."

No, you didn't, you capitalist pig. You told the minimum wage-earner behind the counter what you wanted, and he did it for you. Don't act like it was some sort of grand achievement that you carved out for yourself.

I always thought Subway's "Sandwich Artists" schtick from a few years back was overcooked, with its implication that the employees were trained in some kind of complicated craftsmanship. No offense, but it's a sub, not Pieta. Now I guess we should have just been thankful that the employees were acknowledged to exist at all.